Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Come on in!

For this kind of thing, you have to be inspired, and so I was.

One Friday evening of late, after crabcakes and cocktails at the home of an elderly friend in Virginia's Northern Neck, I discovered "A Virginia Housewife," which was first printed in 1825 and is still in circulation. I suppose as long as there are Virginia housewives it will be.

It was dusty and of unusual size and hiding inbetween a gardening book and "Virginia Hospitality." Mary Randolph is the author, and a descendent, I presume, of the aristocratic Virginia Randolph family. I later read that she was at one time revered as the best cook in Richmond. (A title that indicates she must have fed every single person in that city, though hopefully not all at once. )

I'm newly married and so I'm thinking much more about domestic life than I ever have. Would I finally learn how to elegantly prepare a traditional Virginia meal for 250? Could Mrs. Randolph advise which is best -- bake biscuits before cooking bacon or after?

Would I finally and with good conscious be able to burn my Martha Stewart mags?

I opened the cover and began reading.

"The government of a family, bears a Lilliputian resemblance to the government of a nation."

I have no idea what Lilliputian means, but it sounds important and therefore must be true. I jotted a note down in order to remember to refer to myself as Commander In Chief and my husband as VP.

"Management is an art that may be acquired by every woman of good sense and tolerable memory."

True indeed, and something I should bring up with my boss come promotion time.

"When ice creams are not put into shapes, they should always be served in glasses with handles. "

I hadn't ever thought of it, but now that I see it in print, it seems only right.

"A late breakfast deranges the whole business of the day and throws a portion of it on the next, which opens the door for confusion to enter. "

Oh heavens. We musn't open the door for confusion. Absurdity, yes. But confusion? Just get back...

1 Comments:

Blogger kitty said...

Lilliputian

\Lil`li'pu'tian\, n. 1. One belonging to a very diminutive race described in Swift's ``Voyage to Lilliput.''

2. Hence: A person or thing of very small size.

September 22, 2004 at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home